A: Complete the form on the SUBMIT ENTRY page.
Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
A: Paypal and all major credit cards.
Q: Can I mail a copy of my Screenplay, Submission Form and Payment?
A: No, we’re sorry. We only accept online submissions and payments at this time.
Q: Should I include my contact information on my title page?
A: Yes, but it does not affect judging either way if you forget to include it.
Q: Who will be reading my screenplay/judging the contest?
A: The final panel of judges will be comprised of members of the Los Angeles Film Community, including but not limited to producers, managers and established writers.
Q: Will you fly me to Park City, UT if I win?
A: The Feature/Pilot Grand Prize winner will receive coach airfare and accommodations resulting in a three-night stay. The Short Grand Prize winner will receive cash, which can be put toward airfare if they wish to attend, but TRMS will not book the flight for the short winner.
Q: When will the Table Read be scheduled for the Feature/Pilot Winner?
A: The Feature / Pilot showcase reading will be during the Sundance Film Festival in January 2019. If the final date as selected by TRMS does not work for the winner, TRMS will not provide any cash value matching for the non-accepted airfare and hotel, or movie ticket expenses turned down by the winner. We will be as flexible as possible, but the ultimate decision resides solely with TRMS.
Q: Can we pass the Sundance Film Festival tickets on to someone else?
A. No, the film tickets are forfeited if you decide not to attend the festival.
Q: Is this contest affiliated with the Sundance Film Festival?
A: TRMS is not affiliated with the Sundance Film Festival.
Q: How will I, as the Feature/Pilot Grand Prize Winner, participate in the Table Read?
A: You sit back, relax, and observe as a director works scenes from your winning screenplay with the actors in preparation for the showcase of your first 20 pages. We will also do a full table read of your script. There you can take a few notes of what’s working and what might need some tweaking. We encourage you to watch the process rather than reading off the script because you will get to listen again when you receive the recording.
Q: Does the Short Grand Prize winner receive a Table Read?
A: Yes, as a recording which will be posted on ISA’s Curious About Screenwriting Network.
Q: Do I maintain the rights to my screenplay?
A: Absolutely YES, you retain all the rights to your screenplay!
Q: Do I need to submit a Synopsis?
Q: Can I submit a screenplay under a pen name?
Q: Does my screenplay have to be registered?
A: No, but we do recommend registering your work with the WGA West, the Library of Congress Copyright office or other similar organization in your country. It’s really easy and a VERY smart thing to do.
Q: Do you accept Web Series?
A: Yes, Web Series falls under the TV Pilot category in this contest.
Q: Can TV Pilots win the GRAND PRIZE?
A. Yes, Features and Pilots run together.
Q: What’s the minimum/maximum required page length?
A: Feature: (70 – 120 pages), TV Pilots: (10 – 60 pages), Shorts: (1 – 40 pages)
Q: Does genre matter in my submission?
A: Yes, but only to determine what your goal is for your work. All genres are in competition with one another.
Q: What genres do you accept?
A: All genres are welcome except for documentary, erotica, reality TV and musicals. Only select genres are listed. When submitting, please choose the genre that BEST suits your screenplay!
Q: Can I submit my screenplay in multiple genres?
A: Yes, you can. Each time you submit in each genre, you will have to pay the entry fee.
Q: Can multiple scripts from one writer place in the Semi-Finalists / Top 100 list?
Q: If I make the Semi-Finalists what elements of the screenplay are taken into consideration during the judging?
A: We are looking for excellence in Originality, Plot, Structure, Pacing, Dialogue, strength of Characters, and Marketability.
Q: I don’t live in the United States; am I still eligible?
A: Yes, but all submissions must be in English.
Q: What if I live outside the United States? Will you still pay for my flight?
A: Yes, we will purchase an international flight for up to $1,000, domestic flight for up to $600 USD.
Q: If I choose not to fly or stay in your hotel, is there a cash equivalent?
A: No. If you decide not to utilize the flight or hotel, they are simply forfeited.
Q: Is an adaptation of a published novel (by somebody else) eligible?
A: You must have the legal rights to adapt the book to enter your screenplay.
Q: Can I make a change to a submission?
A: You may make a change to submission within 24 hours of the original submission ONLY.
Q: What stops you from taking my idea and developing it yourself?
A: Our panel of judges is comprised of respected industry professionals, and they have no intention of stealing your material. They’re actually hoping to find new talent to work with. If you make it to the Semi-Finalist round, your work will be seen by these professionals, which in turn, gets you one step closer to getting your screenplay produced. You can sit at home and protect your ideas all day long hoping for that one right person to come along, or you can get your work out there and show us what you’ve got!
- This contest is open to anyone except all employees, directors, associates, and immediate families of the TABLE READ MY SCREENPLAY Contest.
- We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, sex, age, veteran status, or disability. It is our intention that all qualified submissions be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on script-related factors alone.
- Promotional discounts offered may only be utilized at the time of submission and no partial refund for a promotional code may be issued after an entry has been officially submitted.
- Promotional discounts or waivers offered may not apply on all submission platforms (i.e. ISA, Film Freeway, Withoutabox).
- Once material has been entered, no substitutions of new drafts or corrections will be considered past 24 hours from original submission time and date. After this time you may fill in an entry form and pay the appropriate entry fee to submit any script revisions or changes as many times as you like up until the deadline. You are free to email email@example.com with a revised logline or contact details at no additional charge.
- Those that receive free feedback are not eligible to receive a free resubmission, which comes as an option with purchased feedback, unless otherwise noted in a promotion.
- Eligible resubmissions will be honored in the succeeding contest.
- Table Read My Screenplay cannot guarantee feedback will be received within enough time to resubmit within the same contest.
- The writer understands that feedback can take up to 90 days turn-around time and may not be received before the end of the contest.
- TRMS Feature or Pilot Grand Prize winners from previous seasons may only submit to a contest city outside of the city in which they won and may only submit with a new screenplay. Previous Short Grand Prize winners may enter any contest provided they enter a feature next. If a writer wins the Grand Prize in two cities they are ineligible to submit in any future contest season.
- TRMS 2nd-10th Place Finalists may submit again with a completely different screenplay. Those who have placed as a top 10 (2nd-10th place overall) winner three times with three different screenplays in two different cities (3 in each city for a total of 6 placements) are ineligible to submit in any future contest season.
- Adaptations from other works are permissible provided you have the writer’s written permission to adapt the work.
- Adaptations of works in the public domain are permissible, however you are responsible for the legalities of this.
- Collaborative work is eligible; the writers are responsible for the distribution of the contest prize(s).
- Writers under the age of 18 years old must have parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate.
- The work or submitted material must not be in a current option agreement, or may not have been previously sold or produced for profit.
- Writer understands and accepts without reservation that he/she is an independent contractor and that the contest administrators are not responsible for withholding any taxes or payments on prize money to any government agency, at any level, be it state, local or federal.
- Writer understands that it is his/her sole responsibility to register material with the U.S. Copyright Office and/or with the Writers Guild of America West or the appropriate agency in his/her country.
- You must retain at least one copy of the submitted material, and you understand that all material we receive cannot and will not be returned under any circumstances.
- Recommended length of your work:
Feature – (70 – 120 pages), TV Pilots – (10 – 60 pages), Shorts – (1-40 pages)
- If a screenplay is submitted for feedback and is over 120 pages, an additional fee of $1 per page will apply and the contestant will be contacted and billed separately for the extra, or only the first 120 pages will be read.
- All entries must be received by Final Deadline. TRMS reserves the right to extend the contest deadline up to 90 days.
- TRMS is not responsible for late, lost, unacceptably formatted, corrupt, or incorrect submissions.
- Contestants may submit their screenplay to any other person, contest, producer, agent, publisher, and/or organization.
- Contestants retain all rights to their screenplay, subject to the terms and agreements contained herein.
- TRMS will only accept your submission if you assure us that to the best of your knowledge you are the sole originator of the idea and that you have the legal right to submit it for judging to TRMS.
- You understand that your logline and / or screenplay will be reviewed by our employees and/or our panel of Industry Judges for evaluation. You also understand that any one of these employees or judges may have been or may be exploring ideas similar to yours and you hereby waive any claim that TRMS, its employees or judges may have misappropriated any ideas or portions of your submission logline or script.
- No agreement for compensation, other than the TRMS prizes listed, has been implied.
- If you win an ISAConnect membership, the membership will auto-renew after your free term if you do not cancel it and you will be billed the regular monthly fee.
- TRMS intends to submit the Semi-Finalists to respected producers with your permission, which will be granted upon clicking the ‘I have Read and Understand the Contest Rules’ button. You can withdraw from this process at any time.
- When your screenplay, application, and payment have all been received, you will be notified by email only. Please provide an appropriate email address. If your email address changes, it is your responsibility to let us know.
- By entering this contest and in the event you / your screenplay is declared a Semi-Finalist, you understand and accept that TRMS will be free to use your name and likeness for advertising or promotional purposes without additional consideration.
- If you are a GRAND PRIZE Winner, 2nd or 3rd Place overall winner (if applicable), you agree to give TRMS permission to post your video or audio Table Read on its web site.
- All contest participants understand and agree with the following:
- TRMS reserves the right to award a cash prize, at its discretion. A Grand Prize Winner is under no obligation to accept the associated prizes but will not be awarded or owed a cash replacement upon electing not to move forward with prizes offered. This includes local winners.
- International flight not to exceed $1000. Domestic flight not to exceed $600. There is no cash reimbursement for flights that cost more than the limit nor will there be a disbursement of the difference for flights that are less than the $1500 / $800 limit.
- TRMS may develop a series or documentary style program based on the inner workings of the contest and the production resulting there from. TRMS reserves the right to contact contestants with offers to participate in any such production. Contestants are under no obligation to participate therein.
- Contest applicants must accept without reservation the decisions rendered by the judges.
- There are no refunds for submissions at any time for any reason.
- TRMS has the right to change or add to the prizes at any time, without notice, and/or substitute prizes of equal or lesser value.
- TRMS is not affiliated directly with the Sundance Film Festival. Winner passes and access to the festival does not imply an association or additional access.